< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Biceps tendon pain after surgery
Created On: 05/21/2005 08:40 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/21/2005 08:40 AM

Author Icon
mamacougar

This sounds very similar to my experience the second time around. I kept being told the original repair was fine and it was just weak muscles. Finally Doc ordered another MRI. Complete tear in one arm, partial in other. Keep in mind that even MRI's don't reveal everything all the time. My first MRI showed a POSSIBLE partial tear and I ended up having a torn biceps, rotator cuff , and clavicle ressection. Just had surgery last month and already I can tell it has had better results this time. My dead give away was the weakness in my arms. I couldn't do anything! This finally made the doc look again and he found the trouble. I have another shoulder surgery to go through on the other arm but am hoping for good results again like this one. My first surgery was a total flop and the pain was immeasurable. Be persistent until someone agrees to 'fix' this. It will only get worse if it is a tear or biceps tendon rupture. Hope this helps and good luck to you!. Jan
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Author Icon
ABICHE

I was injured at work. I hurt both my shoulders trying to pull something 10 times my way(i know it sounds crazy, but it was part of the job). anyway, my company sent me to see one of their Doctors. He then sent me for an M.R.I on each shoulder. At first he told me that i had a "partial tear" on my right one and tendonitis on my left. He also said that PT should take care of it. Well i've been in pain for 2 months now. I can't sleep on either side. The pain on both shoulders is so bad, it wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have shooting pain going up thru my neck(right side) and pain trickling down my right arm. I can hardly hold anything for too long with my right arms, it gets too weak. I can't even lift or elevate my arms too long. I went for a second opinion yesterday and this Doctor said that i had a "torn bicep tendon" on both shoulders. So i really don't know who's right and who's wrong, all i know is that i'm in extreme pain. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this kind of problem? and if so, what can i expect? Will surgery help? Celebrex and Vioxx are not helping!! Thanks everyone.

Author Icon
mamacougar

I am a 36 year old female and I had a mini open rotator cuff repair on June 5, 2002. Initially going into the surgery, the only confirmed injury was a possible rotator cuff tear and bone spurs on the acromion. An MRI and X-rays neither showed any definitive injuries except a narrowed acromion space. After "opening" me up, The dr. found a small tear in the cuff, a groove worn by bone spurs, AC joint arthritis and a torn biceps tendon. My original 8 week recovery was changed to 3 months plus! The PT went pretty well and was even decreased due to my advancement. I was told there wasn't much more they could do beacuse of the biceps tendon tear. I would have to wait several weeks before starting weight training or even any serious range of motion exercises. My shoulder itself is pain free except for the scar and if I try to lay on the afflicted shoulder. My problem is the muscle spasms in my upper arm. If I lay on my side an prop my arm on my waist and hip and it fall slightly behind me, I get severe pain in the upper arm in front and back. I cannot push on anything even a little. Pulling is ok if not too heavy. Has anyone else had this procedure and subsequent pain? The pain in my muscles are literally driving me crazy! Also, my shoulder seems to sag more than the other and my elbow seems stuck to my side with the underside of my forearm showing instead of the top. It kind of angles out from the side of my body. Has anyone else had this? I need to know if I should be concerned or if this will heal in time. Would also like to know how long before the pain in the muscles lasts. It has been about 7 weeks and am getting frustrated with my limited usage of my arm. Thanks, Jan

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.