< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Biceps pain after surgery
Created On: 05/21/2005 09:02 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/21/2005 09:02 AM

Author Icon
Cheri5362

I had mini open shoulder surgery. My doctor did not find anything on MRI or Xrays all he did find is that my muscles were soo inflammed. Before I had the shoulder surgery, I had 3 coristone shots and it did not solve the problem. I hate those shots, it is only temporary relief (supposed to be) anyway they were hell for me. I begged the doc please just do the surgery and look in there because MRI isn't soo acurate. He agreed with me. HE said if there is a tear, he will open it up and fix it. SO anyway the surgery was full of surprises. I ended up with loose labrum-basically my socket was out of place almost like dislocation, RTC and bone spurs. It was 2 hour surgery. I had the nerve block and OMG they are WONDERFUL. I have had surgeries before and never experienced nerve block. I loved it. Anyway, I was in a sling for prolly about 2 weeks but did exercises called penplum (SP). IT was painful but felt funny. at 4 weeks I requested PT because I felt it was time for me to be pushed and get it moving. I had all kinds of clicking and tingling in my arm down to wrist. PT said it is normal. I had SOOO MUCH pain at 6 weeks and It was soo unbelievable. I had patience thinking I got 6-9 months to progress or to heal. Now it is at 3 months, my pain has not gone away had soo much muscle spasm--THAT is not normal, the PAIN should be level or going down. I was having so much pain and muscle spasms so my PT backed off on all the exercises. I went to see my DOC for check up, he said he thinks I have frozen shoulder or scar tissue build up. He suggested coristone, I just said NO coristone period then I asked what are the other option he said manupliation and have arthroscopic also. I agreed with that option because I WANT to heal up and go back to work. I have been on LI since OCT 2002. I want to get rid of that muscle spasm and the pain. NOW on your questions about clicking and tingling in biscep and arm, IT IS NORMAL however, if you are experiencing so MUCH pain or aggressive pain or no relief at all, STOP the exercises and work on stretching and call your doc. THE PAIN should be going down or staying level as you work on exercises and ROM. UNFORTUNALY I didnt get that experience. HOPEFULLY I will be back on the track after the maniuplation and maybe they will find something else that went wrong. At 3 month or 4 month, YOU should be having almost all the ROM not all of them, YOU should be able to reach up above your head with little or tolerable pain and some difficulty. At 4 months you should be almost pain free. THE feeling in bisceps is from all the stretching and working. The nerves are trying to deal with the shoulder repairs ie scar tissue. I hope you find this helpful.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Author Icon
sunny

how are you doing now? i had rtc repair on 1/28/03...........i now have aching in the bicep and catching clikcing in the front of the shoulder so i am curious as to what you may have learned? and hwo u are doing?

Author Icon
mamacougar

Hi, I had a mini open rotator cuff repair surgery on June 5th, 2002. Nothing obvious showed up on X-rays or MRI except Bone Spurs on the acromion bone. After he got in there, he repaired a Rotator Cuff Tear, Performed a Distal Clavicle Resection, AC joint Debridement (had arthritis in joint), a biceps tenodesis, and the acromioplasty. I went back to work 3 weeks ago after going through all the therapy. I am now having severe pain in my biceps muscle. I am not too worried about my limited ROM since it was a pretty intensive surgery but I am concerned about the biceps pain and "catching" again in my shoulder where before (after surgery) it was completely quiet. I also get a severe burning pain in upper back along the spine/ side of scapula. It feels like someone is running a hot knife down my back by my shoulder. This and the arm pain is driving me insane. I am afraid to go back and have him tell me I damaged something again. I do NOT want to go through another of those surgeries. Has anyone else had this problem? DId it go away after awhile? Is it just muscle spasms? I do alot of heavy lifting and reaching above my shoulders. Please, any reply would be soooo appreciated. Jan

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.