Topic Title: labral tear recovery
Created On: 05/21/2005 08:35 AM

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/21/2005 08:36 AM

Author Icon
regina2780

I tore the anterior glenoid labrum of my right shoulder in march 2004 in a car accident. i have been in PT 2x/week since, have tried a cotisone shot, and have been on "light duty" since. I have finally decided on surgery this wed. I feel like the tear has become significantly worse. I often feel a popping followed by a sharp pain in the anterior shoulder. i fear I may have ruptured the biceps tendon and understand this is a difficult recovery. I am a nurse and hope to return to work within 2 months. any advice?
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/21/2005 08:36 AM

Author Icon
gymrat014

I just had a labrum/ligament repair in my right (Dominant) arm on June 21, 2004. The labrum and a ligament were reatached to the bone with an anchor in the front of my shoulder, and I had a flap tear in the back of the labrum that was stiched back together. I started having "squeaking" sounds about a week post-op, but they only occurred sporatically. Now 3 weeks post-op, the "squeaking" occurs at least 20 x's a day, but there is not a specific movement that causes or allows me to reproduce the noise. There is no pain associated with the "squeaking" , just an odd feeling when it occurs. I told my therapist today, and she did not have a clue what I was talking about. I am glad to see that others are having the same issues with their shoulder that I am. The therapist made me feel embarrased when I told her my shoulder was "squeaking." Now I won't be so hesitant to mention this to my doctor when I go back in a month because I know that others are having the same problem. Thanks for the help. Any additional advice.
 05/21/2005 08:35 AM

Author Icon
ABICHE

"pepler@mchsi.com" Im wondering if Physical Therapy varies from State to State. I live in PA and most of the people i've talked to tell me they were started on it immediately! I just don't see how they could this so quickly. I mean.."you're still trying to recover from the surgery itself"!! Anyway..i guess the last place i had PT at really messed me up. My shoulder isn't feeling any better. Well..thanks for your response! Good luck!

Author Icon
gnarkill

About a week after surgery, all the doctor wanted me to do was lean forward, let gravity pull my arm out in front of me, and move it in slow circles to start working on getting range of motion back. I think shortly after that he had me standing, elbow bent, rotate it out to the side. That was it for 12 weeks. Worked well too.

Author Icon
ABICHE

"pepler@mchsi.com" I was my understanding that PT had to be done immediately after surgery to prevent Frozen Shoulder. However..i disagree with the intensity some of these therapists try to go about it! I thought shoulder recovery was a slow process..was i wrong? My shoulder tells me that im right because it still hurts terribly!!

Author Icon
gnarkill

It's interesting that some of you guys are seeing physical therapists. Up until about 12-14 weeks after surgery to repair a labral tear, there's really no physical therapy to be done. The doctor gave me some exercises for range of motion, but absolutely none for strength, and even then it's light and limited. The surgery repaired cartilege, there's no exercises that are going to aid in the healing of that. After the last surgery to remove some of the sutures (7 mos post original op) my shoulder feels GREAT and I can throw a softball about 90% as hard as before injury, strength is awesome, and I'm 7 months since original surgery to repair. So having done this labral tear thing before (very successfully), I wouldn't even bother seeing a therapist. There nothing they can do to speed up cartilege healing.

Author Icon
ABICHE

"jjazz11@aol.com" I had an Arthrocospic Acromioplasty done on 5-4-04. I was started on PT 3 days later. One week after..the pain was so intense that i tried to tell my therapist to ease off a little. Instead he started questioning my level of pain and telling my doctor i was being hostile. Hell..he'd be upset too i was his therapist and kept making him do things that hurt!! Needless to say..i ditched this one(with my doctor's consent) and got me another one. I know PT is supposed to help you..but sometimes the people performing it are just flat out incompetent and idiotic!! Good luck!

Author Icon
ljjazz11

I saw your post and have also written to the forum, but I have not had any replies yet. I had my surgery for a labrum tear on 5/10/04. I was doing rather well I and was following my physical therapists advice. The exercices hurt at first but got a little easier. He told me to do them 2x a day at home when I could and I was to see him 3x a wk. After the 2nd times I thought he was moving rather fast and wanted to speak to my doctor who is out of town until Tues 5/25. The PT told me to do them at home or I would stiffen up., so I did.Today something snapped or hurt really bad and I was in pain all day. I was even crying. Was forced to take my vicadin ( which I hate also). Waiting to hear from doc on tues but am so scared I did something major wrong. I was feeling so good up til today. Makes you wonder about the PT. I'll keep u posted, u do the same. LJ

Author Icon
slziel

I had a slap lesion-type 2 repair-and also sub-acromial decompression and resection on 4/23/04. I was told I could take arm out of sling whenever I wanted but to use it when arm in pain. I started physical therapy less than one week post surgery. It was incredibly painful, and some things such as the codman's too painful to do. My orders from the doctor were just not to do anything that furthered the pain. My physical therapists told me that they hardly ever see slap lesions and would treat my recovery like a rotator cuff injury, but it would be normal to have even worse pain than a rotator cuff due to the complexity of the surgery. I have two anchors and stitches to hold the labrum down and to reattach the biceps tendon. I am now four weeks out from surgery and still in a great deal of pain, especially down the inside of my arm. I am a nurse and was expecting to be back at work in three weeks since the slap lesion was not found until the surgery time, necessitating a longer surgery and very much longer recovery time. I still have passive physical therapy only although it is being advanced slightly at this time. My husband does it at home several times a day and I always ice afterwards. I still have trouble sleeping and am getting discouraged by the constant pain. I rarely take medication for the pain, just do not like the side effects. I need to know how the pain has been for others and an encouraging word about getting the use of my arm back. I want to return to work as soon as possible. Well, I guess I want honest replies also, especially regarding the pain and aching down my arm, and across my chest, as well as in the shoulder.

Author Icon
feirmma

I went to PT yesterday. Now this morning, it is creaking a lot. And my shoulder has pain. I gave my orthopedist a call and am waitnig for a return call from him. But every time i move my arm it is creaking. I wonder what the orthopedist will say, and if he has heard of it before.

Author Icon
gnarkill

Yes, they will probably give a general anesthetic, because they have to do another scope to get the anchors out. I was in a sling for about 6 hours after surgery, and then I was out. The most lasting effect is the drugs and stuff they give you. I didn't have to use any of the pain pills they prescribed, in fact I was at the Rugby field the next day drinking beer with the arm that was operated on. I shot an 81 on 18 holes 2 days after the surgery. Although I'm sure the doctor would not have recommended the rehab schedule I used, the surgery is no big deal. As far as wether the surgery is necessary, it's always up to you. Mine got progressively worse before I finally went back and saw my doc. The anchors and stitches will disolve, but in the mean time you are in fact rubbing anchors on that bone. Anytime things rub together, they wear. Friction tends to do that You may or may not have problems down the road, but I went ahead and had the troublesome ones out, better safe than sorry I say.

Author Icon
feirmma

Thanks for the info. I am still in the healing process. I see my orthopedist next month, and will definitely talk to him about it. To get the anchors removed, do they have to knock you out again to go in and remove them? I mentioned the squeaking to my physical therapist, and they were clueless. They said it could be my tendons strectching out since thye have not been used in a long time. Or it could something with the scarring inside the shoulder. My squeaking only occurs every week or so, and it is not debilitating. Is it worth going in and fixing?

Author Icon
gnarkill

If you have the squeeking, you need to go back to your doctor. What is most likely happening, as was in my case, is that one or more of the anchors are rubbing against the head of the humerous. While it's not painful, it can eventually cause some erosion of the bone. I had mine removed 8 months after surgery because everything was healed. Eventually, your body will disolve the anchors because of the material they are made of, but if they are rubbing you should probably have them removed once the healing in the joint is done and they aren't needed.

Author Icon
feirmma

I had arthroscpy on March 11, 2004 to repair a torn labrum in my right shoulder and my shoulder is also squeaking. Only happens spuradically. But it is loud, and causes a vibrating sensation in my shoulder. No pain, just very strange. I have no idea what it means or if it goes away. But I am glad I am not the only one to have this happen!!! Any more info on the squeaking noise? -Mark

Author Icon
ABICHE

"pepler@mchsi.com" I had a labral tear repaired too. How is your rcovery going? Are you feelng any pain still?

Author Icon
gnarkill

I am now about 7 mos. in recovery from the original surgery to fix my labral tear. The Squeeqing got to the point where other people could hear it, and it was getting worse. I went back to the doc, we did sugery yesterday afternoon to remove the anchors that it was rubbing on. He said the rest of the shoulder looked good, and that the original repair was a success. The second surgery was extremely non invasive, and now 1 day after surgery it feels pretty dang good, but I can't move it much to really tell if the squeeking is gone.

Author Icon
Fastmxracer

I am 12 months out of a Labral tear and SLAP lesion, which required 5 bolts to get me back in order. I still have daily pain, and it really hurts to throw a baseball (or even attempt to pull back to throw). I saw my surgeon again today, and I scheduled more another scope surgery for next month. He thinks the pain could be due to the sutures or it could have pulled loose again. He will clean up the scar tissue, ensure everthing is in order, and tidy up everthing. I can play golf and get by with most stuff, but I am only 80% healed to the point before my dislocation. Nick

Author Icon
gnarkill

I also had a labral tear in my shoulder and experience the "Squeaking" very often. I am just over 6 mos in recovery, and I still have my doubts about the stability of the repaired shoulder. Does anyone else who has had the squaking know if it eventually goes away? My doctor thought that it probably was one of the sutures (spelling?) that was somehow rubbing on the bone during movement. On a second note, It's been over 6 mos, and I still have alot of trouble throwing a ball. Does anyone else have any input on how long it took them to get back to a strong, stable joint able to throw a football/baseball?

Author Icon
dkass

I am about 4 months post-op (labral repair, bone spur, and bursae removal) and I have recently begun to squeak as well. It doesn't seem there is any pain/inflammation associated with the noise, and I cannot seem to re-create it. It just happens occasionally. I guess I am wondering if I should be concerned, or if this will go away in time. Thanks for any info.

Author Icon
Jordanuser16048

I have just developed a squeaking noise it only happens when I run or am in constant use of the shoulder. I play baseball and so it squeaks when I throw sometimes no pain during but after it gets inflamed. Surgeon says anchors have some out and are loose in joint therefore causing the squeakin and pain so I guess I have to go in and get them out if I wanna play baseball anymore. Anyone else hav eto get them out?

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.