work with unstable shoulder?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: work with unstable shoulder?
Created On: 01/01/2010 04:33 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/03/2010 12:39 AM

Author Icon
speedyturtle

Will do, im just hoping i can get in within the month. Im 18 so im worried about surgery, its cost and how work would take a 4-6 month absence if nessacery. Work pays for school, no work means no school haha. My parents dont take it serious though, they tell me itll get better or worse, and only time will tell, as if a year and half hast told us all its going to.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/02/2010 09:20 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

no problem, I've had surgery to restore stability on both shoulders multiple times... Good luck, let us know what they say.

01/02/2010 05:39 PM

Author Icon
speedyturtle

thanks for the advice. i really apreciate it.

01/02/2010 01:51 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

No, it doesn't mean that at all. the real question is if you have a SLAP or Bankart lesion, if either, you'll need surgery. If it's capsular laxity, PT could help, but not if you keep doing what you are doing to it. Either way, you're in for surgery and most likely, you'll need to be out of work 4-6 months after. You'll probably never feel right for heavy lifting anyhow after this.

01/02/2010 12:52 PM

Author Icon
speedyturtle

i have had three bad subluxations where the shoulder was in constant pain for about 2 weeks each time and minor slips and pull daily where pain lasts about 2-5 minutes but never a full dislocation. Does this mean PT could help solve the issue.

01/02/2010 10:43 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

have you ever had a full dislocation or just the slipping and feeling of looseness? If it's dislocated before (full out), better be very careful and do nothing with your arm fully extended. If not, be careful, see your doc and follow his instructions. In general, the damage is done already, but a full dislocation could change that completly.

01/01/2010 04:33 PM

Author Icon
speedyturtle

I work at UPS and lift packages over 100lbs frequently, i also lift boxes that require my full arm extension. My shoulder pops, slips and strains everyday doing those thing among slipping during normal activity. I cant get in to see a ortho for almost a month. is it safe to work without fear of further damaging my shoulder. I assume it is an unstable shoulder form the anterior slips, feelings of loosness, and frequnet sublux under certain pressure angles? Help is greatly appreciated. P.S. i havent heard of this being a symptom so ill ask, but is it normal for shoulder pain in the unstable shoulder when sleeping on it.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.