< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Post Op still having trouble
Created On: 08/24/2011 01:33 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/25/2011 12:09 PM

Author Icon
bartkershner

I will look into accupressure. Thanks for the response. I am willing to try anything right now.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/25/2011 11:22 AM

Author Icon
bluewing2

I'm so sorry to read what you are going through. Shoulder pain is a formidable foe as I said on my original post. I haven't been here that long but so appreciative of the support. Shoulder pain and restriction is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced but more than that it is dehabilitating. I have a few years on you and I'm not a weight lifter even though I had given some thought to trying that before I got this issue with my first shoulder 3 years ago.

Have you tried accupressure by a massage therapist? I haven't done it but I have been told by several other people who had shoulder issues that it was one most helpful in improvement of pain. I'm going to look into it.

You will get a lot of support here..........
 08/24/2011 01:33 PM

Author Icon
bartkershner

Hello, I have never posted on a site like this before, but I am getting very frustrated and am looking for any help I can get. 4 years ago I hurt my shoulder lifting weights. I did it either benching or dipping. At that time I could bench 315 about 8 times. I trained my back just as much as my front, but probably not as much as I should have, especially when I was younger. I couldn't lift my arm to the front without terrible pain, and I also couldn't lift it without having to shrug to compensate.

It never got any better over the next 3 months or so. I tried to push through it at first like an idiot. I got diagnosed by an OS with a torn labrum. I was in college at the time and coulnd't afford to miss work bartending for 6months so I decided to put off surgery. It got a little better over the next 3 years and I got pretty strong again, but I still was week and had pain lifting to the front and overhead and still had to shrug to lioft my right arm. About a year and a half ago it started bothering me again pretty bad. Now I have a desk job and good insurancwe so I decided to have surgery. Before getting surgey, though, I wanted a second opinion. I went to an OS with a great reputation who had helped two of my former teamates with shoulder problems.

He diagnosed me with impingement, a partially torn RC, and an inflamed, if not torn bicep tendon. He gave me a cortizone shot and recommended trying to rehab for 3-6 months to see if it would get better without surgery.

I always thought I knew a lot about bodybuilding and did the right things but after my diagnosis i looked online for hours upon hours about impingement treatment. I really started to focus on my external rotators, scapula, mid and lower traps, and rear delts. I am pretty confident I got the right diagnosis. Anyway, I didn't get better and elected to have surgery. I got a subacromial decompression and bicep tenodesis. My rotator cuff was 40% torn and I had mild arthritis and mild waer on the labrum which was cleaned up. I was told he did the tenodesis because it was so inflamed it was bein pinched by the bicipital groove. I was also told the rotator cuff was torn enough that it would heal on its own because of the decompression. I began PT and continued to focus on strengthening my back and external rotators and scapula. i went back for my follow up appts and was told I was progressing fine.

I am now 9 months post op. I still have pain mainly in the front of my shoulder and still have to shrug to lift my shoulder. I never had pain at night or lifting to the sdie, and now I do. It almost feels like my bicep tendinitis is worse that ever, except I don't have the tendon anymore. I feel like getting this surgery was the worst mistake I have ever made. I know I will never get back to where i was, but the reason I elected to have surgery was to get back to 90%. I'm only 31 years old and wouyld hate to have a bum shoulder for the rest of my life. Sports and lifting have always been a huge part of my life, and I am really depressed that i can't really do anything right now.

I went back to the surgeon last week and met with his nurse practicioner. She gave me a cortizone shot and I have a follow up with the surgeon in 6 weeks. I was told to not do anything upper body related and maybe the pain will go away.

Sorry for the long winded post. Any ideas. Active Release? Chiro? More surgery? i also feel like my PT was good and knew what they were doing, but were not necessarily used to helping athletes. I mean I was doing scapula rows with the pink band for like a month. I would love to find a PT that actually works with elite athletes (not that I am elite, but it couldn't hurt)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.