Resurfacing Hemi w/CAP - Can this be revised ?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Resurfacing Hemi w/CAP - Can this be revised ?
Created On: 12/12/2008 02:42 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/13/2008 05:52 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Revision from a resurfacing would probably be a hemi or TSR, depending on how your glenoid looks if you want a predictable result.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/12/2008 02:42 PM

Author Icon
packfan

I had a resurfacing Hemi w/Cap over a year ago. Since having this done it has constantly felt "overstuffed" with a continual dull ache, especially anteriorly. Recently I had scar tissue removed (capsular release) , and bicep tenotomy as suggested this would cure all the ills of the shoulder, but with no success. I can tell the ROM is somewhat better, but the feeling that something way too big remains in the joint still dogs me. Constantly has dull ache and feels "raw" inside, and this is with taking large doses of anti-inflammatory medicine. Off the record another surgeon took a look at the x-ray and said the CAP looked too big to him ( primarily since he mostly did traditional modular hemi's with stems), and that whenever he did a Hemi /w CAP he always resurfaced down one size smaller, to avoid the exact symptoms I now have. Obviously, my surgeon won't admit there's a possibility he put in a CAP in that's too large for my joint.This brings me to the questions at hand. First, how can I prove the CAP is too large without being opened up to make that determination? Can this be done by looking at the x-ray or can a CT scan be done or anything else that will aide in that determination Secondly, can an original CAP be removed successfully (without cracking the humeral) and then resurfaced downward to a smaller size CAP? I've ofter heard it said that when a Hemi resurfacing is performed, that the revision from that would have to be to a total shoulder but 'm not real sure on this. Any thoughts, suggestions, or info would be highly appreciated. Packfan
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.