03/19/2008 04:26 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Packfan,capsular shift if needed, bicep tendonesis, etc
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 03/19/2008 01:13 PM

Author Icon
packfan

Hi...Yes, I have the hemi cap/w resurfacing, no stem into the arm. What does rebalancing of soft tissue entail? I've never heard that before and am curious. And yes, he did say he did a tenodesis. Is that usually known to create any additional pain? Because the area of the most discomfort is in the general area of the biceps tendon in the front. Of course, I think the subscap tendon is in the same general area.thanks,packfan
 03/18/2008 06:37 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Okay, just so I understand correctly, you had a resurfacing, not a stemmed hemiplasty. The difference is many inches of steel going down through your humeral shaft vs. a "CAP" placed on the humeral head after being reamed.If it is not scar tissue, your surgeon will see it during the scope. He can then either create the proper spacing in the joint, clean out scar tissue, or rebalance soft tissues if your shoulder is floating out of position. Did you get a bicep tendonesis? If not, one might help, too. Anyhow, it can't be diagnosed from outside the joint ;-) only a guess, but the gold standard is the scope.Good luck.Mike
 03/18/2008 06:17 PM

Author Icon
packfan

Hi Mike,It was a full hemi with resurfacing of the humeral head. I do have a couple of additional concerns. How do I know if the scarring/contracture has matured? If I were to have this would the scarring return as severe as now if it hasn't finished maturing?The physician seems to think all my issues are coming from the scar tissue, but I'm not totally convinced. Especially grinding and crunching I'm getting at times, as listed below.Also, and I'm not sure if this caused by the stiffness of the scar tissue in the joint capsule or not, but in the last 6+ weeks or so when I raise the arm I really get a lot of grinding/crunching, especially if I bring it toward my body. It almost feels like the front of the humeral is hitting the socket, it's real disturbing. Would that possibly be the joint being so full it is forcing the prostesis/cap against the bone of the socket? It doesn't bring excruciating pain but it is rather uncomfortable. Of all the areas of the joint the anterior portion feels the most problematic. I could write a book of questions with this but I will stop here. Thanks for you input....Regards,Packfan
 03/18/2008 08:03 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Did you have a full hemi, mini stem hemi, or a resurfacing?I would go ahead and have the arthroscopic debridement/release ASAP. It won't hurt anything, and if it goes well, you'll wake up felling a lot better than you did before the surgery. By day 3, that surgery is a piece of cake compared to what you've been through.~mike
 03/17/2008 08:10 PM

Author Icon
packfan

I'm now 5+ months removed from a Hemi Arthroplasty w/Resurfacing of the humeral head. 3+ months of continual formal PT with 5 months of total PT.I have such extreme ache and pain in the front, back, top and side of the shoulder now with much stiffness it's unreal. It truly is almost unbearable. I cannot sleep at night and it is getting worse each day. I do not have the most perfect cervical spine either, you know, the average degenerative arthritic changes that occur with age. The shoulder has gotten so stiff and painful I believe it's affecting the neck with tightness into the cervical area. It's to the extent I would rather have the old arthritic shoulder back hands down. The surgeon says I need an arthroscopic surgery to clear away the scar tissue. I believe reading the other posts that the scar tissue is there. But I think the Hemi surgery has changed the anatomical/mechanical makeup of the shoulder girdle itself causing the neck to bear the excess strain of what the shoulder should be doing.Can anyone out there relate to this or care to comment please feel free to do so. I'm so frustrated I could bite a sixteen penny nail in half.Thanks, packfan

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.