< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Help--your thoughts needed
Created On: 01/05/2009 12:04 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/05/2009 12:04 PM

Author Icon
Vdickjr

March 21, 2007 I dislocate shoulder at work...........first doctor states--nothing wrong--take 6 months off work.......2nd doctor said probably torn labrum and now frozen shoulder......he does surgery**june5th, 2007**--repairs partial torn labrum and MUA......after about 7-8 with the sling on.....it comes off.......immediately anytime I straighten out my arm I was getting JOLTED......it was very painful...rehab was kickin' and the arm was killing me.........June 24th or so I could no longer handle the pain.....my forearm felt loose, almost like not attached and was burning very badly......send me to a nerve doctor--he says nothing is wrong nerve wise, but gives me nerve meds and the pain goes from a 10 to a 5 in less than 3 hours.....I continued to take nerve medication, but it was making me sick.........nerve doc said to stop.......still have severe pain in my left arm....from the shoulder down to my fingertips..........ortho doctor said nerve problem....nerve doctor said ortho problem......what a mess......nerve test done.....1st nerve doctor said no damage....like he said...no damage......dealing with workers comp I finally get a second nerve doctor visit in OCTOBER---she does a nerve test.........damage somewhere under the armpit......NOW, on to my second Ortho Doctor--Dr. Gerald Williams--rothman institute.....he suggests hemi-arthroplasty after looking at my shoulder.......he said it was a mess--degenerative bone disease and abnormal bone formation.....(I had open banchart repair done to my right shoulder in the military--and they also stated abnormal bone formation).......oh, and found out I was DIABETIC prior to first attempt with second doctor...they were wheeling me into the OR when I said hold on.....sugar level was almost 400....so we rescheduled for Mar 21.........hemi-done..........now, my arm is horrible.............rehab was pitiful and painful with my left arm still getting burning sensations up and down the arm..........at one session I grabbed a pen and marked where all the pain was..........I lines up and down my arm.......return visits to DOC were not good....said it is still loose and that considering my age I will have to deal with it.......So, now I have little use of my left arm.......and when I do use it it hurts.........my left forearm seems to be hyper sensitive..........any stress to the muscles in my left arm leaves me with burning sensations up and down it...........it is a really bother...............Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on? Sleeping is tough.........both my arms go DEAD during the night.......tingling and numb.........probably because the joints are loose and when sleeping I am totally relaxed and I would guess bone is resting on a nerve at some point.............In any event........I retired from my job as a Waterways Conservation Officer for the state of Pennsylvania..........and now have two children and I dread the thought of not being able to play catch or do athletic things with them.........I was very athletic.........in shape........played a ton of sports........but not any more...........I am so afraid of falling and popping the metal ball out place that it isn't funny.....I am very cautious.........I hate sitting still.............it sucks.........about the only thing I still do from prior to surgery is FISH.......but it is much more relaxed and even that makes my left arm hurt.........also, workers comp sent me to a nerve doctor MRI of spine........no problems there......no kidding, never hurt my neck........ever........they said the doc would give me answers......he didn't...I am so frustrated that I quit seeking out doctors.........I did hire my second lawyer to deal with workers comp........Just hoping somebody can shed some light on the left arm issues I am having..............and if a total shoulder replacement would be worth a shot..........???Wondering if during the MUA that somehow the nerves may have been stretched out and damaged? Also, the physical therapist stated the nerves seemed really tight..........he liked to stick his fingers in my elbow and feel the nerve.......one time he did that--he slapped a nerve off a tendon........what a jolt....I about did a back flip off the table...........I am pretty sure once the JOLTS started to happen rehad should have been shutdown..............I just don't know.............thanksVinny
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.