< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Drs. In Chicago area
Created On: 01/14/2008 11:13 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/21/2008 01:51 AM

Author Icon
nafetari

I'm sorry I did not come across your message 'in a bottle of sorts' ,but I don't come here that often cuz I just got tired of it the whole thing, life included,I'm in so much pain and it has been years of it, long youthful years where one does not live yet does not die....Sorry for the above but I had to write it because it's me...Now I hope your replacement has gone just fine for you...for anyone else in the Chicago area in the future ,you MUST see Dr. Brian Cole @ RushOrtho first thing,and before you make any dicision about shoulder replacement with any other surgeon,The guy managed to pull off the feat of a first successful ALL allograft -that is all human tissue- replacement of the GH joint in Young people as young as 16...Two years later the repair endured with NO pain reported and full functional ROM...I had my surgeons in NYC's Hospital for special surgery look at the reports and articles i printed for them ,they recognized Dr.COLE and willing to try it on me instead of the all metal Cap...I'm in the waiting period right now for the proper tissue to be identified at the tissue bank... Hope that helps future Zombies in the Chicago area...
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/21/2008 12:30 AM

Author Icon
jaffo333

Michael, Thanks for the reply, yes I do need a total shoulder, due to arthritis, cysts, zero cart, bone on bone crackling popping, you name it. Dropped out of PT cause therapist said I have the shoulder of a 90 year old (I'm sixty) Everthing hurt so much, was a baby and quit. Am worried that while continuing to lose arm strength my rehab after surgery (if I ever get brave enough) will be much harder to endure. I unfortunately have the luxury of being able to lay around and baby it, if I don't move it, it doesn't hurt, and I can sleep on it pretty well so that's what I do. Close the shades crawl under the covers and hope for stem cell research to develop and grow cartiledge. The injections seem to be the only hope left and I realize it would be a temporary fix and that the only light at the end of my tunnel is another train! Now I hear you say the test group didn't get relief and I try to keep some hope for this relentless pain to take a few months off. Haven't been able to find out if my Dr. uses a flouroscope or not, my date with destiny is next friday Feb 29th. Was yours done with a flouroscope? Were the injections more painful than the cortisone ones? I love needles almost as much as surgery! Ha Thanks again for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it. Jaffo333
 02/18/2008 08:02 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

James,No, no one I know had that problem. However, Gerald Williams has operated on a person with a problem like this. www.rothmaninstitute.comGood luck.Mike
 02/18/2008 07:45 PM

Author Icon
Circular123

Hi Mike, Was there anyone in your study group that had a hemi or full replacement due to smashing their humeral head to tiny pieces? I'm trying to find some people who have had the surgery from trauma. I can find lots of people who have had it from arthritis, muscle damage etc. But no one who has essentially shattered their humerous at the bulb end. Your help is appreciated. [email protected]
 02/18/2008 07:39 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Jaffo333, I'm not a fan of the Synvisc injection in the shoulder. I've had them after some cortizone therapy and neither really helped. I would find out if you need a total shoulder (if your glenoid is worn out, too) or if you could get by with a hemi or resurfacing. I was in a study group trying synvisc in the shoulder a few years ago, of all of us (we kept in touch), I'm the only one who still didn't get a replacement. Everyone who had the replacement that I speak to here and there, is delighted with the result (from both a function and pain relief standpoint).Nothing hurts in trying the injections, but they didn't help any of us. I think there were 9 in the group (we are all under 45).Good luck.Mike
 02/18/2008 05:55 AM

Author Icon
jaffo333

Hi, Good luck to you on the 28th, wondered if you tried any of the syn injections after cortisone injections.? This whole TSR is so scarey, I'm in the Fox Cities WI and my right shoulder has been hurting for about 2 years. I'm 60 yr old female, and am seriously considering the off label injections, think he said 3 spaced a week apart. Anyone out there in favor of this after experience?? Feel I'm getting so out of shape laying around babying my shoulder and taking pain pills want to scream...help me Rhonda, or anyone knowledgeable on this subject. Thanks in advance! Jaffo333

01/14/2008 11:13 AM

Author Icon
birky

I wasn't sure where to put what since this is my first time posting. I am having a replacement on 02/28/08 with Dr. Greg Nicholson as the surgeon and at Rush Hospital in Chicago. Has anyone been a patient of his. He is highly recommended and I was referred to him by my Dr. at Loyola who did an arthroscopic surgery last year which had complications of a bleed and now frozen shoulder and nerve damage. I have a prosthetic heart valve and have to be on coumadin so this is at least 6 days in the hospital. I have so much pain now that anything has got to be better. My Dr. Loyola has tried everything and is hesitant to go back in so this is why he referred me to Dr. Nicholson. I am at the point of complete frustation with all of this, physically, mentally and financially. I see the Dr. from Loyola tomorrow and at that time I will be telling him that the Midwest Orthopedics Dr. will be doing surgery since he seems very capable and very confident. Does work on patients with prosthetic valves all the tiime. I really like my Dr. from Loyola but we feel more comfortable with the Dr. at Rush. I just know that this is not the way I want to live with the shoulder hurting all the time. I had the first surgery for a labrum tear. Help

-------------------------
I am having a shoulder replacement done at Rush in Chicago on 02/28/08.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.