< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Scapulothoracic Fusion
Created On: 04/24/2011 09:32 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/04/2012 06:26 PM

Author Icon
pstuhlman

i AM THINKING OF GETTING THE SCAPULOTHORACIC SURGERY. CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THIS DOCTOR WARNER. PLEASE ALSO TELL ME HOW YOU ARE DOING. I AM SO MUCH PAIN AND HAVE NOT WANTED IT BUT I REALLY NEED TO GET IT DONE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO OR ADVISE YOU CAN GIVE.

THANK YOU,

PSTU
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 06/28/2012 10:52 PM

Author Icon
pstuhlman

I am considering having right scapulothoracic fusion. How did you find the Doctor? I would be very interested in maybe seeing him.

Thank you very much,
 05/08/2012 02:31 AM

Author Icon
Jeniffer

None of my known ones have evr gone through Scapulothoracic Fusion. But a friend of mine had a total knee replacement surgery and after few weeks she was feeling very well and was recovering faster.
 02/22/2012 02:55 AM

Author Icon
shotokan7576

Hi, Mapleton

I had Right Scapulothoracic Fusion Done on May 16 2006. I have never been more pleased with the outcome of anything else in my life. The surgery was life changing for me. I was dealing with a shoulder drop of 7 inches and My scapula hung of my back by I would say 6 -9 inches.

The Surgery took about 7 hours, I was in the hospital for about 6 days. The Pain was aweful for 2 weeks at least, but even now if I had to go through it again I would. My range of motion has increased considerable.

I did have a few complications, but they are pretty common. Like the pleaural effusion about 2 weeks after. After about 2 years I had to go in to have a Acromioclavicular joint ressection. I do have some joint pain now and then and still have some incision site pain now and then. a little numbness and over sensitivity as well, but nothing that is really bothersome.

I was the first surgery of this kind that my doc had done, but he has done 3 more since. They all have had similar outcomes as myself.

I hope this helps a little with your decision!

GOOD LUCK!!
 02/06/2012 10:35 AM

Author Icon
Mapleton

FullROM50
After months of going to different doctors and rehab and tests they sent me to Boston to see Dr.Warner. Who told me with the nerve damage I have and the time that has passed that this would be the only thing that would fix the winging and that it could take away most of my pain. But I would probably not have much more motion then I do now. The problem was I live in a very remote location and nobody saw the winging for months till the rehab people said that was not right and it was not just my shoulder, as I had tried to tell the others. So the time frame from the first trama to now has been 2 years and almost 6 months. For most issues that requier specilasts we need to travel. At the least 3 hours to our bigest city to find some who sent me to Boston that was 7 to 8 hours away.
Tried to make a long story shot, but thats how I got to here. I can not find stats from others who had the surgery with my conditions.
Thanks for asking.
 02/06/2012 10:20 AM

Author Icon
Mapleton

Thank you for responding to my post. It has been a while. No I did not have the surgery. In May my mom got very sick and then I lost her in June. So my issues and life has gone on hold.
I have read other people's reports of having a lot of problems after the fussion. Everything from the excess of the fussion and having to go back to have it removed to less motion then before the surgery. I guess I am just so scared of the possible things that can go wrong like puncture of the lung to being the same or worse after the surgery.
Was your winged shoulder caused by trama? Mine was. How was your recovery process? Do you have more motion and with the scapula attached to your ribcage does it limit your twisting and turning of your trunk are? I want to ride my motorcycle and paddle my canoe again. I guess I want to find a studdy of many people who have had the surgery and see the follow up results of each. I want to know the stats.
Thank You
 11/09/2011 01:31 PM

Author Icon
cassie888

You have probably already had your surgery by now but if not I have had a fusion done on my right shoulder in 2003 and I just had a total reverse shoulder replacement on the left this year. So if you still have question let me know and I will answer them.
 05/01/2011 08:47 PM

Author Icon
FullROM50

Mapleton,
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm curious about your situation. What happened that you think you require Scapulothoracic Fusion? I've had a shoulder replacement and have regained full range and strength of my shoulder. I know what you're asking has nothing to do with TSR, but maybe you can tell me what brought you to this point.

Thanks,
FullROM50
 04/26/2011 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Mapleton

Is there anyone who can answer my questions? Please? I am scared to just go into such a surgery blind.
Thanks to anyone who can tell me their story. The good the bad and the ugly.
 04/24/2011 09:32 AM

Author Icon
Mapleton

Hello,I have been looking every where to find the outcome of people who have had scapulothoracic fusion due to an injury. I use to be very active and have so many things I want to do again. Will I be able to hunt, fish, canoe, golf, garden, ride my motor cycle pick up my grandkids? All the things people do to be happy in life. I have always worked hard. Always done non-traditional jobs for women like drive log truck, pipe fitting, ect.What is the range of motion after the recovery? Do they still have pain? I need to know all these things before I say yes. I am a prime candidate for this surgery and would love to be with out the pain. All I have been able to find is people who have muscular dystrophy that have had this surgery. I can not find people who were or are generaly healthy and very active prior to their injury who have gone thru this.Is there anyone who is close to my active life style who had a simular thrusting injury and had this surgery? I have so many questions with no answeres to be found. Will I still be able to twist my upper body? How much motion will I lose with my shoulder blade attached to my ribs? I can't seem to imagin it enough to get the big picture if you know what I mean. Any info I can get on this will help.Thanks so much to anyone who can help. Even a link to a website or some place I can read about results will be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.