< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Best Orthopedic Surgeons of Shoulder
Created On: 02/01/2011 10:24 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/08/2012 03:52 AM

Author Icon
Jeniffer

A friend of mine has just gone through the shoulder replacement surgery and seeing her it seems that she is quite well than before and now she is performing the physiotherapist exercises. I would just want her to get recovered at a faster rate.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/24/2012 12:14 AM

Author Icon
tlily2001

I did have the total reverse shoulder replacement of my right shoulder. My case would be complicated. Others I spoke with had less complications. I had to have rotator cuff repair 5 months earlier on my left shoulder. I also have a cervical fusion C5-7. I wish I had waited at least a year to allow for an ultimate strengthening on the left side.

I am now doing well but have not been able to do any weight training without causeing muscle spasms on the right side.

You should have a lot less problems. I felt so much relief in the beginning. Now I'm 4 months out and am able to start doing regular PT.

Hope this helps.

Terry
 01/23/2012 11:30 PM

Author Icon
allan2012

Did you get the reverse total shoulder?

It sounds like your operation went well.

Since it has been a few months, how would you now say things are with your shoulder?

Is there anything I should consider before my visit with Dr. Iannotti?

Thanks....
 01/21/2012 03:34 PM

Author Icon
tlily2001

I went to Dr. Iannotti at the Cleveland Clinic. He is excellent at what he does.

However I would not let my dog stay overnight in there hospital.

If you choose him make sure that you have someone stay with you while you are in house as their care givers are not caring and some were even rude.

I was surprised when I received a letter from them. I expected it to be a survey. Instead I received a letter saying how great they were and requesting a donation.

Sad to say but I think their reputation has caused most workers there to just disregard the patient.

I'm doing well and felt pain relief by the third day. Dr. Iannotti uses a pain pump that is inserted near the neck just under the skin. This sends lidacaine or novacaine type pain med right to the area. This worked very effectively for me.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Terry
 01/19/2012 06:59 PM

Author Icon
allan2012

tlily2001, where did you end up getting your surgery. Are things going well (I hope so). I will be getting a TSR very soon and was recommended to see Dr. Iannotti by Micheal1466.
Thanks,.
 05/12/2011 09:58 AM

Author Icon
annetennis

Laura - Dr. Andrews is in Birmingham Alabama. I also liked Dr. Hawkins - formerly in Vail, now in SC.
 05/12/2011 12:41 AM

Author Icon
tlily2001

Hi there!
My pain doctor is close friends with Thomas Gill. He works at Mass General. I will know more within a month. I have an appointment to see Joseph Iannotti at the Cleveland Clinic on June 13. Whoever I like the best will do my surgery.
If anyone has had a good result with the reverse shoulder replacement, it would be great o hear who did the surgery!
tlily
 04/14/2011 01:36 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Tgrtrnr,

Where is Dr andrews Located?? I am seeing a new shoulder surgeon after years with another, I have had 5 surgeries on left shoulder, 2 by first surgeon who actually sent me some where else when he had n clue what was going on, then seen two other before gain trust on the third whom I let do the other 3 on the left shoulder, then there was the right where I had a 90 percent tear and the surgery went bad, pain swelling etc no rom, nobody could even touch it, I then let him do the 2nd surgery, a capsular release and a clean out. but now have lost my trust because of what happened, in late december started have pain and loss of range after 8 months, and went to see him and also decided to do a second opinion on what was thought to be possible partial dislocation, he just said to watch it, not lets do a mri or anything, did not like it, and new surgeon said lets do this there is something going on in there, well turn out I went with the new surgeon and had the mri/arthogram and there is a whole lot going on i there including another tear. I need surgery again not only on the right but also the left after another mri on that, but am holding off for a while, need to build the trust factor before I jump into this again. So maybe I will seek another opinion before I go for it. I have the films and reports.

-------------------------
God's Blessings,
Laura
 04/14/2011 06:03 AM

Author Icon
tgrtrnr

Tilly,
I think the best shoulder surgeon comes down to trust. If your surgeon did a great job thats wonderful, but how much do you trust him, the working he's doing and his aid in your decision making progress, and just good communication. I just had a 7th repair, and my doctor and I held out for the longest time before we said yes to surgery. We even did 2nd and third opinions. What it boiled down to is I trust my surgeon right down to it, and woul'dnt let anyone else operate my shoulder. The second reason, I have had a lot of altercations and reconstruction. I wouldn't want a new guy going in there moving something the my guy set up because he thought it was in the wrong place. But if your in the boat of everything is terribly painful and you want to try a new hand, I would suggest Dr. Andrews. He is probably by far the most renoun shoulder surgeon in the US. I guess it also depends if your willing to travel.

Those top ten lists, they may report on their skill, but who knows they could have terrible bedside manner, patient overloads which can lead you to being overlooked, etc...

Best of Luck
 03/21/2011 02:48 AM

Author Icon
tlily2001

It's certainly scary. I have to just trust but there have been some errors made with that system of selection. I have sat in doctors' offices and read Top 20 Doctors, Best Surgeons, and other lists. Most were given by peers. One particular magazine called "Hour" stated that the names were selected by asking doctors who they would take their family to for specialized medical treatment. So when I posed the question, being new to forums, I thought possibly some type of survey may have been done by this Shoulder1 organization.

I'm going to just be very point blank and ask, "How many reverse shoulder replacements have been done by this surgeon?" Hopefully I'll get good answers and will post what I find on this site.

Thanks
 03/19/2011 08:19 AM

Author Icon
Michael14668

A reverse seems to be used for people that do not have a functional rotator cuff and arthrititis. Most surgeons in the US won't use it until you are 70.

Being in your location, a good second opinion could be obtained from Dr. Iannotti at the Cleveland Clinic. He is excellent and I've flown in to have him operate on me. His nurse Jim Cicconne is who to speak to if you get your latest scans and operative reports.

Good luck.

Mike
 03/18/2011 10:48 PM

Author Icon
tlily2001

Thanks Michael,
I'm not sure I'm understanding how forums work. I'm from Michigan halfway between Detroit and Ann Arbor.

I had a bad fall in 2005 that torn cuff. This resulted in two failed cuff surgeries, a failed hemi-shoulder replacement and a cervical fusion. I suffer constant chronic pain.

Last fall sometime mid September, my left shoulder started hurting. I had an MRI this December and it confirmed a full thickness tear. I'm scheduled for rotator cuff repair April 19.

I am so tired of pain. The resident of the surgeon doing this surgery asked if I was informed that I needed a reverse shoulder replacement. I had not even considered this as an option due to my age of 60.

How do you know when and if a reverse shoulder replacement should be done?

Anyone with wisdom that would like to share, I'm confused and hurting,
tl
 02/20/2011 07:19 PM

Author Icon
ATHiker95

You might try the Castle Connolly Medical site.

Mark
 02/06/2011 04:24 PM

Author Icon
Michael14668

Honestly, it depends on your condition. I like 3 in particular:

Gerald Williams
JP Warner
Joe Iannotti

I would also be happy to have Gary Gartsman, anyone at the Hospital for Special Surgery that does shoulders, Dr. Wirth, and quite a few others.

Where are you located?
 02/05/2011 07:36 PM

Author Icon
grutzal

Tlily,

When you find the answer to the best surgeons in the nation, please post here, I guess you should stae where you are from and ask for suggestions. I usually ask my doc's first who they would have them work on them, then you might narrow it down a little. I am also searching, after 7 shoulder surgeries and in need for sure of another one on right shoulder and in the mran time knowing every day that the left shoulder is hurting beyond beleif. so I hope you find who you are looking for. Good luck to you!

-------------------------
God's Blessings,
Laura
 02/05/2011 08:15 AM

Author Icon
swank

Your last sentence in the first paragraph says it all. Who determines the best? What do you mean by 'the best'? Lots of people think their doctor is the best simply because they did a great job. I certainly like mine the best. But every doctor likely has someone that thinks they're the worst. So good luck with your search.
 02/01/2011 10:24 PM

Author Icon
tlily2001

Where can I find a list of the top shoulder surgeons in the nation? My right shoulder has a new ball but none of the necessary tendons healed to the replacement.
My left shoulder was the "good one" but has suffered a full thickness tear from overwork. I'm seriously in need of THE BEST. Who determines the best?

I have so many questions. I'm grateful to have a place to share and get some answers.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.