< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Mini-Open Biceps Tenodesis
Created On: 11/26/2008 01:29 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/06/2015 02:35 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

My uncle had 8 manual manipulations, and 4 open surgical manipulations for frozen shoulder. I was in PT the day of my manipulations and now feeling relaxed.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/29/2008 08:47 AM

Author Icon
kerrytr

Hi LeanneIt sounds like the sling time your doc is talking about is also for the labral stuff. But now that you mention it, I think he told me to wear it in public to protect it (after the initial two weeks) but I just stayed out of very crowded places. The incision is about 1" long, it's vertical - picture it as being the shoulder side of where a tank top strap would be so even with something sleeveless on, it doesn't really show. It feels like it's reattached about 2" down the humurus. It's a hard feeling to explain - it doesn't hurt - it was just weird in the beginning but now I'm used to it. hope this is your last surgery!
 11/29/2008 12:12 AM

Author Icon
leanne13304

thanks for the advice kerrytr!the timeline my surgeon gave me sounded much more restrictive. he told me i would be in a pillow sling for 3 weeks and then a normal sling for another 3 weeks after that. I will be allowed to take my arm out of the sling to try and get some shoulder rom back but not allowed to do any sort of resistence with my biceps for 3 months. and then i can start strengthening if i have regained full rom and am pain free. i don't know if this has to do with the fact that this will be my 4th surgery on that shoulder. i was kind of surprised to hear him say he wanted to keep me immobilized for 6 weeks considering my history of scar tissue build-up in that shoulder. although he said he wanted me in the sling mainly to signal to other people not to bump or hit my shoulder when i am in public places, but that still surprised me. i also had some labral pathology as well, so maybe he is anticipating having to repair that as well. how big was the scar from the mini-open? was it right over the biceps tendon? in what way can you feel where it was reattached?thanks for the advice, i am hoping this will be my LAST surgery!Happy thanksgiving!

-------------------------
Leanne
 11/28/2008 08:34 AM

Author Icon
kerrytr

I had a mini open for a tenodesis a year ago (Oct) - Took pain meds for the first 48 hours - after that, advil did the trick. I had to wear a sling for 2 weeks - after that it was just for comfort but I never needed it. I had to be careful with the amount of weight I picked up for the first six - eight weeks - after that, no restrictions. I went to PT for a couple weeks but since it was my 6th shoulder surgery, I knew what to do and my doc was ok with me not going. I was skiing by December. I have no issues with it - just a sometimes weird feeling because you can feel where it's reattached. I'm going to get it done on the other shoulder in the spring. Good luck with it.
 11/27/2008 08:04 AM

Author Icon
swank

When my doctor told me about this procedure he said it was six months of rehab. A very long rehab which is why he prefers a tenotomy over a tenodesis. He said I may also end up with some stiffness in my arm. Thankfully, my biceps tendon was fine and I didn't need anything done.
 11/27/2008 12:13 AM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Hi Carol!Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! My surgery is not scheduled until May (I actually had it moved up a month from June) but I am on the cancellation list and my OS is hoping he can get me in in January. In the past I have only ever had surgery in September or January, so I am banking on January again...which means, not enjoying the task of having to wear that sling under a winter coat and walking at a snails pace so as not slip on ice/snow.

Leanne
 11/26/2008 02:09 PM

Author Icon
nursing1

When are you having it done?PS- Happy Thanksgiving!

Carol2for2
 11/26/2008 01:29 PM

Author Icon
leanne13304

Has anyone had shoulder arthroscopy with mini-open procedure? I am having an arthroscopic with mini-open biceps tenodesis and was wondering what the recovery is like? How long until i can be doing normal day to day activities?I have already had 4 shoulder arthroscopies so I already know what to expect for the most part. Arethey any complications that are known with this procesdure?Thanks

Leanne

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.