Are setbacks common with FS?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Are setbacks common with FS?
Created On: 02/05/2015 12:29 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/29/2017 09:01 PM

Author Icon
LizzyJean

Hi Dahna:

I'm sorry it has taken me 5 months to reply! By now you have probably tried ortho-bionomy, but I will still share my experience.

I saw Jim Berns in Sebastopol, California.   He is a very respected practiitoner and spends most of his time travelling and teaching, so it's sometimes hard to get a session with him, but he's very good.

When I saw him for my shoulder, it was still very frozen (in the 90th percentile for frozen shoulders) and painful. After seeing him one time, I no longer had constant pain.  It still hurt to move it, and I still had limited choices for comfortable sleeping positions, but I could sit, stand and walk with little or no pain.  That was a BIG improvement.

In my experience, the only thing that actually cures a frozen shoulder is time. My pain started in the Fall of 2014 and it has only been in the last six months (and after lots of work with a physical therapist) that I can raise my arm over my head again.

How are you doing now?

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/22/2017 05:26 AM

Author Icon
dahnashoulder

Hello LizzieJean, I just joined the shoulder forum so I am not sure if you wrote more recently than July 2015, but I am considering seeing someone to do ortho-bionomy for my frozen shoulder. I wanted to know if you have any advice for me prior to getting it done, if you tried a few practitioners or only know one, if there was information that helped you get relief. What I have read about it, and it is odd that no one really explains how it works, is that it is helpful for athletes and specifically muscle pain. In any case, I was curious how your shoulder is now and if you would recommend ortho-bionomy.

Thanks so much!

10/29/2015 07:10 AM

Author Icon
thomasanderson

Hi Millie! How is your shoulder now?

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Irving
 07/18/2015 12:20 AM

Author Icon
LizzyJean

Hi Millie:

Well, this time, it's taken me TWO whole months to reply!  Sorry about that.  I've been distracted by new love in my life, I'm very happy to say.

Just around the time we were writing, I also had some work done on my shoulder by a local practitioner who does Ortho-Bionomy.  I still dont' really know much about this type of body work, but it did wonders for my shoulder.  And it was a permanent shift just from one treatment! I still have very limited ROM, but the pain is WAY less.  I feel like my normal self again, which has been great.  Most of the time I don't even remember that I have a frozen shoulder nowadays, whereas it used to be the main thing on my mind 24-hours a day!

Still, I'm wanting my ROM to come back faster, so in the last week, I finally read all of the Neil Asher book and found a friend to start giving me regular treatments.  And yes, I really did appreciate reading what he had to say.  He describes the pain of a FS it so well, and his therapy really makes sense to me.  I'm feeling a little improvement from my first treatment last night (also a little soreness) and I'm hopeful that change is on the way.

And yes, I have the sense of my muscles feeling softer and more normal on that side today.

I'm just going to do the treatments once a week.  I'm wary of causing setbacks by trying things too aggressively (live and learn).

I've been thinking of you all this time, wondering how it's going for you.  Has your shoulder improved?

x jean

05/23/2015 04:37 AM

Author Icon
millie1807

thank you for asking. i am recovering but it certainly has set me back. glad to hear the neil asher video is helping you. i was so delighted i over did it at first till i read ideally do it every 4th day. that does seem right as the next day you are a bit sore.

it is easier with a partner to help but i am doing it on myself with success so it can be done. for the pressure points that are out of my reach i use this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vita...em3cdb2c5701

i found the text really helpful and neil asher really describes well the range of pain. one thing i notice is the treatment dispells the solid feeling of my muscles and leaves it feeling more normal again...until i have an accident.

i'd be interested to hear how you get on. the nice thing is it doesn't cost the earth. i am reluctant to pay out for physio that i don't have much faith in. i like it that he is willing to share his methods because some people won't divulge the 'cure' ie the oat method i think it's called. so you can omly be helped if you live near enough and want to pay a fortune.

take care and may we both avoid any setbacks. 

x millie

05/23/2015 04:18 AM

Author Icon
LizzyJean

Hi Millie:

Your story of sitting down and catching your fall with your arm make me cringe!  I remember so many times when something like that would happen and set me back for weeks!  I hope you've recovered from that episode.

Thanks for referring me to Niel Asher.  I've downloaded his video and text and have already started trying the treatment on myself!  Just with the little bit I did while watching the video, my ROM has increased!

I know exactly what you mean about the pain killers not taking the pain away, just making it bearable.  During the months when my shoulder was really painful, I would so look forward to the end of the day when I could drink a glass or two of port to blur the pain a little!  Luckily those days are over and it really does feel like I'm a little bit better every day.

Take care, and please check in now and then to say how things are going for you.

x Lizzie

05/21/2015 05:58 PM

Author Icon
millie1807

hi lizzie again.

i just read another thread of yours about your ROM. that was what i noticed at once after my first neil asher treatment which i did on myself. it was noticably so much better it felt miraculous. google his name and frozen shoulder if you are interested.

take care. x m

05/21/2015 05:53 PM

Author Icon
millie1807

h Lizzie,

thank you so much for your compassionate reply and kind words. it arrived on a day when i was particularly feeling low so it helped a lot. the reason for my feeling low was because my day started well. i woke for the first time ever with reduced pain and stiffness and then a friend did some pressure point work on me and i got a little more rom. i was feeling some relief. then within 2 hours i went to sit down on a chair in a row, not realising it was nearly a foot lower than all the other chairs in the row. i instinctively put both hands down to 'save' me. only someone with frozen shoulder can imagine the levels of resulting pain.  wanted to sit and cry but i was at work so pulled myself together and got on with it, but i was mighty discouraged and in a lot of pain.

obviouslt that has set me back. i lost even more rom and am still feeling pain 2 days later but i guess it could have been worse. i am not as seized up as i anticipated.

i hope yours resolves without surgery. i have found neil asher very helpful. he describes the agony so well and though the treatment is best done by a partner, i am able to do most of it on myself. he teaches you how to do therapy and his download is only about £10.00. i'm glad you have found something that helps you.

i am so so glad i only have it in one shoulder. if it was both i would not be able to dress, wash, drive. is is so disabling. i will be really glad to move into the frozen stage. i could adjust to limited movement but the relentless pain is what is so unbearable.

i have been taking daily painkillers now for 2 months. it bothers me but i can't imagine managing without. of course we all know that painkillers do not stop the pain in the least but it does give some relief.

best wishes and thank you again.

x millie

05/20/2015 12:36 AM

Author Icon
LizzyJean

Millie:  I've only just read your message now and want to tell you how sorry I feel that you are in such pain.  It sounds worse than mine has ever been, and I thought I had it bad!

I did have that pain going into my head with waves of nausea, but only once.  And I've never had jolts of pain in my arm waking me up (though I often wake up with such a horrible ache in my arm that I can't go back to sleep).

I hope that you are doing many nice things for yourself, taking it as easy as you can, and finding ways to laugh in spite of the pain you're having.

Lately I really do feel I've turned a corner.  I still don't have any ROM back, but I'm feeling more and more like myself.  I'm enjoying walking for the first time in many months, because there's not a jab of pain at each step now.

Just for information, I recently saw a second orthopedic surgeon who explained my condition better than anyone has.  He showed me how the bone right at the top, farthest extension of my shoulder has a little bump on the underside of it, which pushes into the channel where the nerves run through.  That's the impingement which caused my frozen shoulder (which started last August with horrible shootiing pains down my arm when I would reach for something).

He suggested surgery (of course), but I have talked to enough women, now, both in person and on this forum, whose frozen shoulder went away by itself after about a year, that I am going to give mine at least that long before I consider surgery.

The thing that's helping me now is Ortho Bionomy - not covered by medical insurance (of course!).  I have only had one session - about a week ago - but I"m amazed at how something seems to have unwound in my shoulder.

Still a long way to go, but hopeful.

05/19/2015 06:33 PM

Author Icon
angelrobert

We cannot said that it is a rule that the treatment of frozen shoulder is done in 3 stages, actually it all depends upon the situation of the patient.

05/10/2015 09:51 PM

Author Icon
millie1807

hi,

well i completely identify with your confusion. if i read any medical descriptions of frozen shoulder it looks like a neet 3 stage description but like you, i feel all over the place. i definitly have the experience of being set back after  moving my shoulder innocently in a way it objects to and the subsequent loss of ROM. i now have a brand new symptom. i will be asleep and as far as i know , lying still when suddenly something happens....how to describe it is a challenge but like a jolt as something shifts and shooting pain that makes me cry out. another new symptom that i get some days is pain radiating from my shoulder up gthrough my neck to my head giving waves of headache and nausia bhich immediately reduces if i get into thr right position.mine started in november and i swear it was set off by my flue jab.

i too have days when i think i've turned the corner only to be thrown back into the mire of misery. wish i wasn't on such a forum at nearly 3am but 'it' just woke me.

hope you are rid of yours soon

02/05/2015 12:29 AM

Author Icon
LizzyJean

Hey everyone.  From reading the posts, it seems like for most people the three stages of FS are fairly clear.  I don't read much about relapses.

With me, it's not that way at all.  I will have times when the shooting pains go away, and PT exercises are actually possible for a couple of weeks and my ROM is starting to increase a little and then BOOM, I'll move my shoulder funny one day and start this whole chain reaction of pain and freezing up with can last for weeks, leaving me in worse shape than ever before.  Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Or I will sometimes have a day without any pain at all and think "Wow!  I've turned a corner" and then that night I'll have a deep joint pain worse than ever before that lasts unabated for two or three days!  Does that sound familiar?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Shoulder News
Feature Story
Shoulder Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
 Shoulder  Hero™
Dr. Evan Flatow:
Innovating Shoulder Surgery
About Heroes
 Community
Shoulder1 Forums
Patient Stories
Shoulder Journals
 Reference
Ask an Expert
FAQ's
Locate a Doctor
Reference Library
Anatomy
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.